Saturday, April 17, 2010

Chiang Kai-shek Memorial v. 2.0 Part 1

Some of you may recall that when I first got here in February I made a trip to Chiang Kai-shek National Memorial in Taipei. You may also recall that I didn't bring my camera. Well, today I went back, with a camera, took pictures and . . . wait for it. . . . . . video!!!!!

Also, this time, I toured the museum part of the memorial. It was a great trip overall, and a wonderful day to boot. Much less overcast than it has been and the pollution wasn't bad either. Coming into 西們 on the bus I could actually see mountains in the distance!

So, here are pictures and video. Not much of a narrative this time, but nothing wrong with pictures, eh?

CKS Memorial Square. The Memorial Hall is the white building in the distance.




Panorama of the CKS Memorial square from on top of the Memorial Hall.



Panorama of the CKS Memorial Square from opposite the Memorial Hall.



Statue of CKS in the Memorial Hall.



Dome of the Memorial hall. In the center is the white sun of the Republic of China flag.



As I said, I went to the actual CKS museum as well. It was neat, but different from a US museum. There didn't seem to be any sort of narrative to the exhibits. Mostly it was just a lot of "Here's some stuff that Chiang touched/wore/read/sat in." Moreover, the pictures around the exhibits were just that pictures of Chiang doing different things with no context.

The pictures did have sort of a chronological order to them, but if someone was unfamiliar with the early Republican history of the Republic of China (ROC), or Chiang Kai-shek generally, they would be totally lost. I, however, knew a good amount can could catch the general theme of things.

All that being said, here are some highlights of the museum!

One of two cars owned by Chiang Kai-shek.



CKS's other car.




The highlight, I think, of the exhibit, was a recreation of CKS's Presidential office complete with a waxwork of the man himself poised and ready to sign legislation at any moment!



More pictures in the next post. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment