Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Welcome to Korea

Last week I planned a trip to Korea, and well. . . here I am. The trip was pretty easy and nice. Security at both Taoyuan Airport and Incheon Airport was quick and painless.

The plane trip was actually nice. I flew with Asiana Airlines, and was very impressed.



I was hungry before the trip, so I got a steamed pork dumpling at the airport. It was good, but not worth NT$50 (about US$2)



Little did I realize, the flight had an in-flight meal.

Beef rice with a shrimp salad, a roll and chocolate cake. Not the greatest meal ever, but surprisingly good for a 2 hour flight.



Once I got into Incheon airport, I called the hotel and got a free shuttle bus to the hotel.
Let me tell you, this hotel is pretty nice. I paid an average if US$68/night, and I think it's a pretty good deal.

When I got to the room, however, I couldn't for the life of me find a light switch. Once I found one in the room near the bathroom, it wouldn't turn on. So, I went to the front desk and asked, basically, how the lights worked. I was informed that the little plastic fob that my room key (yes! there are hotels that still use keys) slides into a slot that "powers up the room."

So, with the room lit up I took some pictures.

Room power up slot with plastic key



The room has a small entrance where once can take their shoes off to put on customary Asian slippers.











So, first things first, I tried to plug in my laptop. Unfortunately, the electrical outlets here are not like in Taiwan (which is to say, like the US) but never fear! the hotel had adapters.



Next was food, and yes, I did the American thing and ordered a hamburger and a beer. The burger wasn't bad. . .



The beer, called "OB", was basically Korean Bud.



And of course, I tried on the stylish Sevilla Hotel robes!



For the rest of the week, I'll be exploring tomorrow and going on a tour of the DMZ Thursday. Until then.

작별 (Jagby-eol)!

No comments:

Post a Comment