Monday, April 12, 2010

Taipei Museum of Modern Art Part 2

When last we left our intrepid hero he was wandering for days around Taipei in search of the elusive MOMA. Nearly collapsing from thirst and hunger, he reluctantly returned to school and vowed to one day find the museum. . .

Ok, it wasn't quite that dramatic, but I did shake my fist at the city on the bus ride home. Today, though, I did set out again to find the museum. I had a map, and directions and pictures of the buildings around it. . . and still wandered for an hour.

I did, however, have the common sense to ask around to find it. I went to a Family Mart nearby and stumbled through some Chinese when from behind me I heard "What d'ya need, mate?" Yes! and Australian just so happened to be in that same market, and was able to point me in the right direction.

"Oh, I'm looking for the Museum of Contemporary Art," I said.

"That's just back the other way. Make like a kangaroo to the crossroads, hang a left, and you'll see the building."

"Thanks," I said leaving.

"No worries bloke," he said untying his dingo from the bike rack in front of the market.

My memory is a but hazy, but I'm pretty sure that's how the conversation went. The interesting thing about it is that this is the second time it has happened! On our trip to the National Palace Museum an Australian guy helped us find the correct bus to the museum. I suspect that Taiwan imports Aussies to help poor lost Americans find their way.

So, I walked back to the main intersection turned left, and still couldn't find the place. Despondent, I found my way back to the Taipei Bus station, which is also connected to TPM, and walked around a bit thinking I'd soon be headed home. Luckily, after some walking, I happened upon this sign;



I followed some more signs into an elevator, and up to a city street. Down another street and viola! There it was! I found the museum in all its red brick glory!




Just to make sure I was in the right place, I took a picture of the sign out front!

The artist on exhibit at the MOMA was David LaChapelle, an American artist who's early work was with Andy Warhol. Generally, his work is pretty shocking, fairly crude, by very interesting.

Below are three of his more tame pieces. For more info, Google "David LaChapelle, deluge." That's a pretty accurate representation of most of his work.

Last Supper.



Cathedral.



Archangel Michael.



Overall the experience was lots of fun. I'd definitely go again (but with better directions!) and think I might when the exhibit changes in May.

That's all for now, I might be headed out again this week, but until then,

再見!

No comments:

Post a Comment